[NI0001] Ed Essery originally gathered all the available genealogical data (qv Roger Wild and Edward Baker) and put it into Family Tree Maker.

Ed Essery - career:
August 1977 - Joined Digital Equipment Co. in their London office as Trainee S/W Specialist
July 1987 - Joined KPMG Management Consulting as a Senior Consultant
June 1992 - Joined S.G.Warburg IT Department
1 January 1996 - Job outsourced to Perot Systems Europe Ltd
28 April 1997 - Joined Mercury Asset Management plc

Origins of the name Essery
(from conversation with librarian in Devon Records Office, Exeter on 18th August 1982)
The name of the town Woolfardisworthy is pronounced Woolfsery
The name of the hamlet of Axworthy would have been pronounced Axsery and could well have evolved to Essery
Axworthy is an area of Thrushelton in West Devon, north of Tavistock in the Lifton Hundred near the Cornish Border
Axworthy is Arkeswrthi in 1238
Assworthe in 1244
Assworthi in 1330

Old Address: Flat 1, 7 Milton Avenue, Highgate, London N6 5QF

[NI0005] Roger Wild writes.....

"Eddie (1905-69) - A 'card', like his father in many ways. Capable and did well in life. Well educated, went to Dean Close School in Cheltenham. In Merchant Navy. Guarded as a child from all interference by a growling bull terrier (Hector) and a lively monkey. He 'did exactly as he liked'. When he married in Maldon in Essex in 1935, Chris' wedding bouquet was sent to Bootle for Old Grannie arriving at 6pm the same day. It came by special delivery in a large hat box and we think it must have been flown by air to Liverpool"

One of the youngest Merchant Marine Captains to qualify for command - first command circa 1934. Swallowed anchor in 1936 and took up career as Marine Superintendent/Stevedoring. Latterly Managing Director of James Spencer the largest firm of Stevedores in Glasgow.

He developed ulcerative colitis after several weeks medical treatment with little effect he gradually worsened and went into the Vale of Leven hospital where he finally (after much reluctance) consented to an operation. The operation itself was a success but the hospital had no intensive care ward and he died 12 hours after the operation of complications on St Patrick's day in March 1969."

Other addresses: Maldon, St Michael's Road, Blundellsands, Liverpool 23
Tudor Lodge, Penmaenmawr
The Vron, Croft Drive East, Caldy, Wirral

Bootle Secondary School: September 1915 to April 1920
Dean Close School, Cheltenham: May 1920 to July 1922

CAREER (from a CV dated 1938 when he applied for the post of Traffic Manager on the Tyne)
August 1922: Signed Apprentice's Indentures with Messrs. Westcott & Laurance Line Ltd., London
June 1925: Transferred to Messrs. Ellerman & Papayanni Lines Ltd., Liverpool
July 1925: Promoted to Third Officer (uncertified)
August 1926: Passed Second Mate's examination
(29-Sept-1926 to 29-April-1927: 3rd Officer on Ellerman & Papayanni)
April 1927: Promoted to Second Officer
(30-April-1927 to 13-June-1928: 2nd Officer on Ellerman & Papayanni)
December 1927: Passed First Mate's examination
June 1928: Promoted to First Officer
(14-June-1928 to 16-February-1934: Chief Officer on Ellerman & Papayanni)
16th September 1929: Passed Master's examination (Board of Trade Certificate No. 26701)
February 1934: Appointed Master of "Cressado"
(17-February-1934 to 31-July-1936: Master on on Ellerman & Papayanni)
July 1936: Appointed Marine Superintendent
(1-August-1936 to ....: Assistant Marine Superintendent in Liverpool for Ellerman & Papayanni)

As Assistant Marine Superintendent..."I am held responsible for the entire dock organization of the Firm. This includes Stevedoring, Master Porterage and Bunkering Departments. I have a permanent staff of 28 and employ up to 1000 casual Dock Labourers a day. Having a Customs & Excise Gauging station on the appropriated berth, I am familiar with the question of bonded storage etc. The berthing arrangements for the steamers also fall to my lot and are carried out with a view to facilitating the quick 'turn-round' of steamers. In the year ended 1937, over eighty steamers were discharged, bunkered loaded and despatched from the berth (1937 Tonnages: 152443 tons discharged, 109971 tons loaded 'W&M', 71714 tons loaded 'DW'). As the Firm's dock representative I come into daily contact with Shippers, Consignees and Haulage Contractors; Cargo Surveyors, Factory Inspectors and also Sanitary Inspectors, it being my duty to keep on good terms with all, satisfy their requirements and at the same time look after the interests of my employer. In my present position I am frequently in touch with the local Delegates of the Transport and General Workers' Union and the National Union of Seamen over points relative to the working of the streamers.

The original Master's Certificate (No. 26701) was replaced by No. 46198 on 11th March 1941 as "the original one was destroyed by fire in my office at South No. 1 Alexandra Dock on 21st/22nd December 194 as a result of enemy air attack." Replacement certificate held by Edward Bridgman Essery.

[NI0006] Other address: Westerton Cottage, Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire

[NI0009] Old Address: Cedar Cottage, Shear Hill, Petersfield, Hants.

[NI0015] Parents of Polish origin who arrived during/after Second World War. Good Musician

[NI0035] Marjorie Bach (qv) does not know where Jack went to school, but he ran away to sea at 13.5 years old and returned in rags six months later - not having contacted home during that time. His father then apprenticed him. Jack had great energy and vitality and became an outstanding sailor, loving the sea all his life.

Roger Wild writes....

"Grandpa had sailed ships around the world and was an outstanding sailor. He was a severe man, but just and would help anyone who was in trouble - he was very straight and fair with the dock workers and so rarely had any troubles. He refused to retire from work until the dock workers were granted a Superannuation Scheme hence he was the oldest Superintendent when he retired: he had many battles with the authorities in London.

As Marine Superintendent for Ellerman Lines Grandpa had a difficult job in arranging the work and workers at the docks. The dockers were very badly paid and there was not enough work to go round, so he tried to give equal shares of what there was. This enraged the most dominant men who were accustomed always to get the jobs available. He had near-riots to cope with - on one occasion a man shot at him. He was unhurt but the police were called and the man went to prison for five years. During this time he looked after the man's wife and family and when he was discharged gave him a job. This was typical of him. He was a rough tough character who became a legend in his lifetime. He was rumbustrious, restless, outspoken and utterly fearless yet kind and generous. There was little peace or relaxation when he was around and one required a sense of humour.

He loved children and was proud of his family - and he cared about people. From this he seems lovable and he was loved.

Grandpa became a Bootle town councillor and outraged a committee by going round the wards of the local hospital asking the patients if they were being properly looked after and fed well, if they had any complaints or had seen any rats or cockroaches. He inspected the kitchens and looked in the drawers where he found discarded ham skins and bones and swarms of cockroaches. He created a great uproar about that.

He bought a car - an Angus Sanderson - but he never learnt to drive. He employed chauffeurs who rarely stayed long. Grandpa sat beside the driver and 'navigated' and issued instructions until the poor man was at the end of his tether. When the car's life was ended he could not bear to send it for scrap - so he had it put on one of his ships and given a sea burial.

His upbringing was very moral and throughout his life he had a great respect for religion. He was very strict with his daughters and all had to be in by 10pm when the front door was bolted unless when they were older they were out at dances or parties with a chaperone whom he knew. He would then wait up to see them home, before retiring to bed. Most evenings however he went to the Conservative Club about 9.30pm when he knew the rest of the family were at home by then.

With so many ladies in his household (4 daughters, wife, wife's sister & mother-in-law) and his sons generally at sea he liked the male companionship of the Conservative Club, especially his Captain friends. As a sailor he liked his drink, but he was controlled. There are however reports of him coming home along Merton Road gently singing sea shanties. He would sometimes entertain his Captain friends at home in the dining room while the ladies were with Grannie in the drawing room.

In summer 1937 Grandpa wished to go to Appledore for a visit, so Howard took him down by train. They stayed with Annie in Bristol on the way and visited his old haunts there before going on to Appledore for a week. There were still some of his old friends alive and he was grateful for Howard's kindness.

He died in Penmaenmawr on December 13th 1940, truly a bad Friday 13th, after a spell of forty years without a death in the immediate family. A service was held in the town and his coffin taken to Anfield Crematorium in Liverpool for cremation. About 500 dock workers were at the crematorium when he arrived and many were in tears. Howard and Cathie followed the hearse from Penmaenmawr and were overwhelmed by the reception they received. Joan adored him and has only warm memories of a bewhiskered happy and loving man, with twinkling brown eyes full of fun. He had a hard life but worked to give his family a very stable and loving home."


1901: Appointed Marine Superintendent for Ellerman &Pappayanni
1896: Appointed Assistant Marine Superintendent for Leyland Line
Prior to 1896 at sea - see Excel spreadsheet of voyages.
23rd September 1889: Certificate of Competency as Master (014266) issued at Bristol following passing of Ordinary Examination at Newport on 19th September 1889. Certificate held by Edward Bridgman Essery.

Other addresses: 9 Merrywood Terrace, Bedminster, Bristol
Stackpole Road, Bedminster, Bristol
9 Richmond Terrace, Southville Bristol

A search of the 1881 Census Surname Index for John Essery (born 1833), John Edward Essery (born 1864) and William Essery of Appledore (born 1829), none of whom were at their home address on the census night turned up nothing for John Essery and John Edward Essery (who were presumably away at sea) but did reveal William Essery lodging away from home in Dartmouth.

[NI0036] Having been to 'The Hall', the school run by her aunts, Julia Emma ended her education with a year at Cheltenham Ladies College, on of the most prestigious girls schools in the country at the time. Her speciality was music, and she played the piano at the Seamen's mission in Bristol, and that way she and John Edward Essery met.

The older cousins remember her playing 'The Merry Widow' on the piano in their childhood.

Roger Wild writes.....

"Grannie was well brought up by her rich aunts and had style. She was a well dressed lady and she played her part in the community. Unfortunately she was exceedingly deaf from an early age for which nothing could be done. In later years she did have a hearing-aid box, but this was often unsatisfactory.

She had voyages abroad. In 1921 she and Grandpa wanted to see how their youngest son, Eddie, liked the sea so a family party went by ship to Portugal. He responded and made this his career though he was rather susceptible to seasickness. She had voyages on a ship of Leonard's in 1933 and 1934 both times to the Mediterranean - the first time to Greece, the Black Sea and Turkey and in 1934 to Italy, Yugoslavia and Greece.

Grannie was a good correspondent and Marjorie Bach of Bristol records that they always enjoyed 'Jue's letters'. They were long, well-written and full of detailed news particularly about the children. A diary of hers has been found for the year 1925, when her daughter Dollie was married. Extracts follow:

1925 DIARY

Tel No. 512 Bootle, Motor car no. CC 2629

Jan 4th - Sunday. Settled pew rents
Jan 16th - new loudspeaker bought
Jan 26th - Marjorie's 22nd birthday. Adele - a young friend - died after a short illness.
Feb 3rd - 33rd wedding anniversary. Jack in bed with laryngitis, listening to the wireless.
Mar 24th - Miss Popham can take 'the girls' for a holiday in Appledore in August
Mar 27th - Friday. An offer to take her to the Grand National but she wouldn't go - lost on their bettings.
Mar 29th - Angus car referred to.
Mar 31st - wrote to Eddie in Constantinople
Apr 3rd - went in car to Southport
Apr 8th - lovely day, a heat wave
Apr 10th - Good Friday - car trip to Skipton, where car broke down.
Apr 12th - car trip to Warrington, Northwich, Delamere, using the transporter bridge.
Apr 13th - car trip to Llangollen
Apr 18th - Saturday. 'The hour goes on' tonight
Apr 22nd - Grannie's 56th birthday - she wishes the years did not fly so fast. Leonard is appointed Captain of the 'Darius' - he is proud and his parents are of him.
Apr 23rd - Cathie (daughter-in-law) has new business venture
Apr 27th - met Dollie in town at Frisby Dykes
Apr 29th - Mrs Williams will in paper - left 168,000 - the Smiths are lucky girls! [The Smiths were the family next door - Jim married Julie in 1956]
May 6th - wrote to Ada inviting her to the wedding. After tea went with Dollie to her house
May 11th - letter from Ada - she cannot manage to come to wedding - 'am sorry'
May 12th - Cathie called to tell about the shop - opening day next week
May 15th - spent all day spring-cleaning the drawing room - thankful it's done, such a long job.
May 17th - Lillie drove all the way to Hunts Cross, did very well; spring cleaned dining room - 'so glad that's over'
Many of the wedding presents were arriving late May and early June, for Dollie's wedding on the 10th.
May 30th - Whitsuntide. Car run to Penmaenmawr
May 31st - Car run to Bangor and Menai Bridge, Ogwen Lake, Nanfrancon Pass to Betws-y-Coed - tea at Trefriw.
Jun 1st - run to Treaddur Bay and Holyhead
Jun 2nd - left Penmaenmawr for Bootle at 12.30pm
Jun 5th - met Auntie Annie (Mrs. Charles Bach) at Lime St. Station
Jun 10th - glorious weather for the wedding - everything went splendidly. 20 people back at '62' in the evening.
Jun 11th - honeymooners in the Lake District
Jun 13th - busy mending Eddie's socks
Jun 18th - went with Annie to Southport, had tea there, home again at 7pm.
Jun 22nd - wrote to Miss Whittard [succeeding headmistress to the aunts] and Ada.
Jul 7th/8th - Jack Hughes employed to dig Dollie and Cecil's garden
Jul 12th - went to Delamere Forest and had a picnic - lit a fire to boil water. Had a lovely time. 'Going a motorist caught our side wing and damaged it.'
Jul 26th - car had a puncture for the first time
Jul 28th - Jack has lent the car to the crippled children for their outing to Southport - 'so sorry it is wet for them'
Aug 7th - Grandma (old Grannie) went to Bristol
Aug 8th - went on holiday tour York (2 nights), Scarborough, Bawtry, Ware (Herts.), Watford (2 nights), Alresford, Exeter, Appledore (5 nights), Bristol (3 nights), Bath ['nice afternoon tea at Ada's'], Melton Mowbray.
Aug 27th - home again
Sep 23rd - took Howard, Cathie and the children in car to Southport and called at Dollie and Cecil's (in Waterloo) on way home
Sep 27th - Harvest Festival - church morning and evening with the girls
Oct 3rd - Saturday. Clocks going back tonight
Oct 10th - Lillie and Marjorie went to Playhouse (theatre) to see 'Inheritance'
Oct 21st - 'Robert' came to mend side door and also cut branches and tops of the trees in the back garden.
Oct 28th - did some gardening - 'the garden is in hopeless condition'
Oct 29th - Jack cleared and cut up a lot of branches of the trees today
Oct 30th - Mrs. Smith (next door) has had the big elm tree cut down today'
Nov 2nd - Monday. Mother and I went to the Town Hall to vote. Father Blanchard got in and not Connell
Nov 5th - went with Mrs Denton (friend) to Celebrity Concert at the Philharmonia Hall - very good
Nov 16th - wrote to Bessie Pethoran (friend in Bristol)
Nov 19th - Queen Alexandra critically ill. Winnie's birthday - lovely presents from Phil (boy friend) - silver dressing table set and a large box of chocolates and theatre at night. Terrible fog tonight.
Nov 20th - Queen Alexandra died at 5.20pm
Nov 23rd - Miss Taylor is very ill (Headmistress Lil's school)
Nov 27th - Funeral service for Queen Alexandra
Nov 29th - Win and Phil watched skaters on Sefton meadows
Dec 3rd - snow and skating all over the country
Dec 11th - Friday. Lillie went to Hospital Ball with Clifford Dowden (his sister later married Leonard in 1931)
Dec 17th - went with Jack to launch HMS Rodney at Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead. Princess Mary christened the ship. Enjoyed it all very much.
Dec 25th - Eddie and Jack went to golf. Very nice Xmas Day. Leonard did not reach home in time for dinner - wireless at noon with Xmas wishes. All the girls and boys went to Andersons (Leonard later married Dorothy Anderson) in evening.
Dec 26th - very busy day preparing for our party. Had a very good evening, everything passed off very nicely - bed at 3.30am
Dec 31st - Girls went over to Andersons this evening. Listened in to New Years celebrations. Went to bed at 2am. Howard rang up at 1.30am to wish us a Happy New Year.

The diary shows the expected to-ings and fro-ings of family life. Grandpa played golf at Ainsdale on Sunday mornings and frequently on Wednesday mornings too. There was much correspondence, especially to Leonard and Eddie at their various ports. Car trips were frequent, to Delamere forest, Chester and particularly Southport via Ormskirk. They listened to the wireless (radio) in the evenings a good deal, especially to music and particularly opera. Theatres and cinemas were also visited. They had a poor sickness record - coughs, colds and days in bed. Much comment on the weather - it doesn't seemed to have changed. The ladies went to church sometimes twice on Sundays.

Winnie had a friendship of many years with Phil Palmer - sadly both his parents died in that year. Her social life was very bound up with him and the side car of his motor bike. Leonard was very friendly with Dorothy Anderson. Marjorie was friendly with Dolly Williams in particular. They were all friendly with the Maddocks, Rev. Percy married Marjorie and Leonard Wild in 1930 and Sheila their daughter in 1960. Arthur, Percy's brother, married Lil in 1946.

Howard and Cathie's children Joan and George were much enjoyed when left at 62 Merton Road when their parents were going to social functions. They were well behaved."

[NI0037] Roger Wild writes...

"Howard (1893-1979) was sensitive, served in the First World War in France and was injured in the arm. His father wanted him to go to sea, but he wouldn't. A clerk in a Russian shipping agency, he was later in the corrugated iron business, and then Shell Oil.

Howard did well but gradually failed over some years dying at the age of 86."

[NI0038] Roger Wild writes...

"Dollie (1895-1974) helped at home but disliked household chores. She was very intelligent and artistic, kind, and strongly religious with the Congregational Church. She had a fine voice and was in the Liverpool Philharmonic Choir and she sang at family parties. She spent much of her early years with Old Grannie.

Latterly Dolly (and Cecil) were looked after by George, their unmarried son. Dolly went rather senile towards the end."

[NI0039] Roger Wild writes...

"Leonard (1896-1956) was in the First World War in the Royal Navy, and later continued in the Merchant Navy. Jovial and kind, great fun and most popular - the family joker. He had a stammer. He bought his parents a gramophone and records of the major shows. He was close to Marjorie.

His first marriage, to Dorothy Anderson, was sadly eventful. She was a beautiful girl with gold-red hair and an exquisite complexion. Marjorie Bach met her in London when they were engaged and they all had a meal together. It was a lovely wedding in 1927, and after a weeks honeymoon, Leonard left on a voyage. When he returned about four weeks later she was dying of tuberculosis. Leonard was shattered, he frantically sought consultants and any sort of help he could think of. He himself developed pneumonia but insisted on going to the funeral four months after the wedding in the same church. When he was well enough he went to Auntie Annie's in Bristol to recuperate. She was particularly fond of him and they had always got on well together."

Other Address: 51 College Road North, Crosby, Liverpool 23
6 Marion Close, Rainhill Lancs. (Doris' address latterly)

[NI0040] Roger Wild writes...

"Lil (1898-1958) was sensible, a school teacher with juniors at Breeze Hill Bootle, but was not formally trained and in 1944 with the new Education Act had to leave and do nursery work which did not suit. She was very capable and did handicrafts especially needlework. She and Winnie 'did not get on'.

In 1944 Lil was found to have high blood pressure about the time she was being obliged to change schools and this was portentous as from that time on the health of the seven brothers and sisters became of concern. This was something of a shock as the family health had always been so good.

Lil met Arthur Maddock again, a widower tea planter from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) - he had no children. He was of course the brother of Percy who as a clergyman friend of the Esserys married Leonard and Marjorie Wild and who later married Sheila Wild to Bill Gilpin. Lil and Arthur married in 1946.

Lil's health deteriorated with breathlessness and fatigue. Arthur was very caring of her, but she died suddenly in November 1958 on a Sunday afternoon at a party at Howard and Cathie's house."

Other addresses: The Beeches, Chew Stoke, Somerset
Portree, 17 Birkey Lane, Formby

[NI0041] Roger Wild writes...

"Winnie (1900-86) was robust, jolly and very sociable. When all were ill she didn't catch anything. She got on well with her father - she stood up to him and admired him. She loved children and was a great favourite with them. She ran the RAC office in Liverpool during the Second World War. Julie and Sheila (her nieces) used to play on her typewriter.

Winnie met Eric Banner a widower stonemason from Crosby during the war and they married in March 1945. He had a son Hugh. Hugh continued to live with his grandmother and unmarried aunt and uncle, and Winnie and Eric lived in the house of Eric's first marriage, which had been let in the meanwhile. This was 40 Queens Road, Crosby. Winnie lived there to the end of her days. In the garden there was an apple tree which always had a hug bunch of mistletoe growing from it.

When Eric died in December 1982, there were only Cathie and Winnie left of the children's generation. In early 1983, Winnie visited London on her own and went to Eddie's children's homes for a few weeks. In the summer Joan went with her to see Marjorie and Nora in Bristol and on to Appledore, the old family home town. Over the August Bank Holiday she and Roger Wild spent a night in Llandudno visiting old Penmaenmawr haunts - the beach, Sambrook's cafe (now run by Mr Sambrook's son - near retirement) and the Jubilee mountain path.

The next year Winnie went with Roger and Julie to the Newquay area (she had last stayed there in 1938). She even managed a bathe in the sea! In 1985 the holiday was repeated but her health was failing. Living alone, she was looked after by Eric's brother's son and his family who lived a few doors away from her in Crosby and by Sheila who came frequently from her home in Aughton near Ormskirk. At Christmas time she went either to Julie or Sheila's, in turn, for the day.

She died on March 23rd 1986, by coincidence exactly one hundred years to the day after Mary Ann Joller, her grandmother.

Winnie let it be known to Maureen Banner (Eric's brother's daughter-in-law) that she would like her ashes scattered at Penmaenmawr and it was decided that they should be placed near a seat where she and Roger had sat in August 1983 on the Jubilee path, with a little on the sands at the shore. This was done.

Roger, Julie and Sheila were joined by Joan and in appalling windy wet weather on Tuesday August 26th 1986 at the second seat on the Jubilee path from the Green Gorge a short service was held and the ashes scattered - the wind took them up the mountainside in a great flurry, resembling a genie coming out of a lamp. It was reported by Roger as 'awe inspiring'.

When Winnie died much memorabilia was left. This was because she was the last of her generation, and also Grannie the last of hers and she died at Winnie's house. Both were interested in family affairs."

[NI0042] Roger Wild writes...

"Marjorie (1903-62), similar to Winnie but more placid and thoughtful. Red-haired like her father. Very sociable and helped parties along. Secretary in Shipping Office before marriage. Once when she had toothache late at night, she was given a large whisky by her brother Leonard - it helped. Joan was very excited to be a bridesmaid at Marjorie's wedding but could not understand why Grandpa was crying - she later learnt that he always cried at weddings. Marjorie was his 'baby daughter' and could do no wrong in his eyes."

Other address: 45 Southport Road, Thornton, Liverpool 23

[NI0043] Cathie had severely arthritic knees and could hardly walk at all in her later years.

[NI0045] Old address: 30 Cardinal Avenue, Beecroft, NSW, Australia

[NI0065] Old address: 7 Sefton Gardens, Aughton, Ormskirk

[NI0075] See notes under Leonard Essery

[NI0084] Roger Wild writes...

"Arthur gradually failed, became blind, was hospitalized and incapacitated - very sad."

[NI0086] Eric was in poor health for a long time, looked after excellently by Winnie who could hardly ever leave him latterly.

[NI0090] Roger Wild writes...

"He lived on his own with a succession of dogs for company, and enjoyed his golf almost to the end when he had a stroke early in 1980."


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.5b-WIN95 (Jul 28 1998) on 08/02/98 08:33:40 .