[NI0091] Much of the Family History recorded in the Essery branch of this Family Tree was collated by Roger Wild in 1989 based upon the records Winifred Banner (nee Essery) - Auntie Winnie and from the memories of Marjorie Bach, Joan Howe and George Ellis. This data has been invaluable, indeed central, to the creation of the Tree and their assistance and earlier work is much appreciated.

[NI0118] Roger Wild writes...

"Old Grannie (her mother - qv) was looked after by Poll her younger daughter and they shared their bedroom which the two of them went to at 9pm leaving the rest of the family on their own. Poll did her dressmaking in her room. Joan records that she did not get on well with Grandpa of her nieces, and perhaps she resented them as much they did her living in the house. She was devoted to Old Grannie and it could be that the children would have liked to see more of their grandmother, but felt that Poll prevented them. Poll however was always full of fun and Joan and George enjoyed her company.

After her mother's death at the age of 98 in December 1946, Poll was very lost. She developed cataracts in both eyes and died suddenly in July 1948."

[NI0119] Roger Wild writes...

"James Price's grave was purchased for £3 by Captain John Edward (Jack) Essery. It's reference in Kirkdale Cemetery, Liverpool is No 866, Section 11. Only James Price is buried there, and the headstone is in good condition still (1989). Grant of Grave certificate held by Edward Bridgman Essery

A qualified Master Mariner having passed Ordinary Examination at Bristol on the 1st November 1859. He lived at the time at 4 Inch(sp?) Place, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham."

Register ticket is number 22746. Certificate number is 9855 issued at Port of Gloucester on 15th November 1859. Certificate held by Edward Bridgman Essery.

[NI0120] Roger Wild writes...

"In the turbulent atmosphere of 62 Merton Road, Old Grannie was a haven of peace and quiet - everybody loved her. She moved into Merton Road from Bristol in 1900 when her husband died. Poll (qv) moved with her. Old Grannie was unobtrusive but Julia Emma with seven children would have been in difficulties without her. When the Essery children were small, the older ones were looked after by Old Grannie.

She never seemed to alter. She was white-haired with silver rimmed glasses and her hair was always in a neat bun at the top of her head. She wore long black dresses or skirts usually with a white lace in set to the neck. Her hats and coats were also black. Joan never remembers her wearing alternatives.

Old Grannie was seldom ill but had shingles in 1938, and it lasted a long time. Joan visited her then in her bedroom for the first time as it was generally 'out of bounds', and Joan was staring a nursing career in London.

She developed pneumonia late in 1946 and died a few days before Christmas aged 98 years."

1861 Census (RG9/1712 Folio 87)
Schedule 36, 14 Guinea Street
Richard Taunton, Head, Married, 58, Labourer at the Bristol Waterworks, Gt. Torrington Devon
Ann Taunton, Wife, Married, 63, Lodging House Keeper, Little Torrington, Devon
Ann Dyer, Granddaughter, unmarried, 14, -, Bristol three families of three and three lodgers on six census schedules

[NI0125] "This is the last Will and Testament of me Thomas Price of the Parish of Charlton Kings in the County of Gloucester. I appoint my Wife Martha Price and my son William Price of Cheltenham to be Executors of this my Will. I give and bequeath unto my said Wife all my Furniture, Linen, China, Books, Wearing Apparel and other effects in and about my usual place of residence at the time of my decease. I give devise and bequeath to the said Martha Price and William Price and the survivor of them and the executors administrators and assign of such survivor all my real and personal property...........and declare this only to be my last Will and Testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twenty fifth day of May One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fifty Eight, signed Thomas Price.

Signed by the said Testator Thomas Price as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as attesting witnesses, signed William Poulson, Cheltenham and Ann Williams, Cheltenham"

Grant of Probate dated 28th May 1869 held by Edward Bridgman Essery

[NI0127] See details of 1907 diary in notes under Sarah Wood Price

[NI0128] See details of 1907 diary in notes under Sarah Wood Price

[NI0129] Roger Wild writes...

"On Winifred Essery's death in 1986, a diary was found in her possession written by Sarah Wood Price in 1907, describing her life in old age at 'Glendale' (the family home of long standing) in Clevedon near Bristol.

It is thought that Thomas and Martha Price retired there. Their son William and his wife (21 years his senior) had no children, and it seems lived there too. It is said family money was lost so Julia and Sarah sold 'The Hall' school eventually and came to the assistance of Glendale, also living there.

There is constant reference to money loss and payments of rent to a landlord in the diary. Their situation is described as being much less favourable than formerly.

A large house is written about, and there was a lodger called Miss Evans. Julia was bed-ridden and died in the April, with 'Jues' (Julia Emma) and 'little Marjorie' (presumably her daughter Marjorie) being present at the death, having come down from Liverpool.

Julia and Sarah's widower brother William (who had his own sitting room) seemed rather uncomfortable in old age. He was persuaded to go away for a few days to purchase a bicycle for Sarah - which he obtained - but the strain of it all exhausted him and he became ill, bed-ridden and died within a few weeks in the July.

Diary comments during the year:
May 16th - William had a letter from 'Jues'.
August 14th - Sarah heard from Lily (Poll) that they 'went to Penmaenmawr last Saturday' - a very favourite holiday place.
September 19th - 'Jues' sent a picture of their new yacht.
October 4th - 'Jues' arrived from Bootle, and on her return on the 12th to Bootle, a letter dated 14th records 'the children were delighted to see her again'.
November 14th - comments that it is 'Lennie's' (Leonard Essery - 11) birthday and a letter from 'Jues' on the 22nd states that 'Lennie' was pleased with his birthday letter.
December 14th - a parcel was packed to be sent to Bootle for Christmas.
December 21st-23rd - Christmas puddings were being given by her to her servants and her less fortunate acquaintances.

She was clearly a great Christian and received a lot of comfort from religion. Sermons by Campbell Morgan were much read."

[NI0133] Roger Wild writes...

"Related to a Bishop Hooper of Gloucester b. Somerset 1495, d. 1555. Well known reformist in early sixteenth century. This branch of the family came from the Gloucester area."

[NI0150] Joined Army in 1928, was sent to India with RA, came back in 1936 was called up as a Reservist in 1939 and went to France with British Expeditionary came out through Dunkirk. Send to North Africa through Desert Campaign to Tunis and was killed in Anzio landings in 1944.

[NI0152] Joined TA in 1939 and posted to Llandidrod Well as Battery Quarter Master Sergeant until he was medically discharghed with a Duodenal Ulcer in 1940/41

[NI0154] Volunteered for the RAF as soon as he could, he went to Canada to on Air Navigation course which he dropped out of (couldn't handle it), back in UK in 1943, went on Wireless Operator/Air Gunner course at Cranwell and then posted to Thorney Island on Lancasters where he met Babs. He finished war there. Did a few "trips".

Returned to Birkenhead and had job on Docks as a checker

[NI0172] Roger Wild writes...

"Albert was the second son of John and Mary Essery to reach maturity and the younger brother of Captain John Edward Essery. His brother persuaded him to go on a voyage to see whether he like it well enough to make the sea his career. Annie (Bach) and Eveline (Casely) were younger sisters.

Louisa Bach (probably Charlie's sister), in a letter many years later, recalls him as always full of fun and carrying his ailing mother, who adored him, upstairs. She died less than three months after he was drowned on that first voyage, the ship the barque 'Mabel' having nearly reached home.

The Harbour Master informed John Essery that the ship was expected in King Road (in the Bristol Channel just off the mouth of the river Avon) where she would have to wait for the tide and for the thick fog to clear so it was unlikely to reach Bristol until the next day. She did not arrive and was never seen again. His brother Jack always maintained that Albert appeared in his cabin that night.

The official record from the Kew Maritime Records office reads:
Casualty: 3rd January 1886
Age: 13 years
Registered: Bristol
Class in Lloyds Register: A1 Lloyds
Date of last survey: March 1884
Barque: 454 tons
Crew: 15 and pilot
Master: T. Jones
Owner: G. H. Bridges, Bristol
Port: Sailed from Demara to Bristol
Cargo: Rum, cocoa, nuts etc.
Passengers: one
Lives lost: 15 crew, pilot and passenger
Place: Nash Sand, Bristol Channel

Nash Sand is a sandbank four miles long and one mile off the South Wales coast, about half way between Cardiff and Swansea and is a well known hazard to shipping. It is well off-course for a ship making for Bristol.

The details are not known but the Pilot would have been taken aboard down Channel, possibly in the area of Lundy Island, and must have lost his bearings in the fog.

Record from the Index to Sessional Papers, House of Commons 1852-1899. Volume for 1887. Page 1541. Computer Code ZHC1 4954."

[NI0173] Roger Wild writes...

"Annie and Charlie Bach it seems had met before the marriage to Ada, and Charlie was going to sea. Eveline discovered that Ada opened Charlie's letters to Annie who had been puzzled by the fact that Ada always seemed to have the news early. Annie had taken up dressmaking and was working for five shillings (25p) per week at Cordent Clifton - the best of its kind in Bristol. Her eyesight became troublesome and the oculist to whom she went said she would become blind very soon if she did not have glasses at once. She had no money - or not enough - to pay for them so she asked her father for help and he refused it (perhaps this was Ada's influence). The oculist himself paid for them.

Annie married in 1893 - the year after Jack married Julia Price."

[NI0175] Married with children

[NI0181] Roger Wild writes...

"For several years Eveline lived with Annie and Charles Bach. In time she married William Casely, a waiter, but in later years there was little or no contact with Jack or Annie."

[NI0183] 1851 Census shows he was a Servant of a Little Torrington farmer (Thomas How). 1851 Census entry for 56 Spitford: (Reference HO107/1894 Folio 494)
56 Spitford
Thomas How, Head, married, 63, 110 acre farmer

John Essery, Servant, unmarried, 18, born Little Torrington

1861 Census shows him lodging in Appledore working as a Ship's Carpenter
Appledore 1861 Census RG9/1503 Enum. District 6, Folio 70, Schedule 22
John Essery, Lodger, Unmarried, 27, Ship’s Carpenter, Little Torrington
(lodging with James & Elizabeth Brownscombe)

Roger Wild writes ... "Following his second marriage John Essery became increasingly unhappy and ill with bronchitis - probably tuberculosis - so Annie eventually took him in and looked after him until he died in 1898."

A search of the 1881 Census Surname Index for John Essery (born 1833), John Edward Essery (born 1864) and William Essery of Appledore (born 1829), none of whom were at their home address on the census night turned up nothing for John Essery and John Edward Essery (who were presumably away at sea) but did reveal William Essery lodging away from home in Dartmouth.

[NI0184] Roger Wild writes...

"Mary Ann was the only child of her parents to marry and have children. Before marriage she was personal maid to Lady Clinton who was good to her. As she was 27 years old when she married she is likely to have been in the employment of Lord and Lady Clinton for quite a long time and this must have been when she acquired enough money to buy good things for the house on marriage.

Mary is described as a woman who loved the country byways. She is said to have been red-haired and rather quick tempered."

A search of the IGI for Mary Ann Joller in July 1998 revealed no entries.

[NI0185] Roger Wild writes....
"After the death of her husband, Ada moved into a house in the Montpellier and Fairfield districts of Bristol, and a faint memory of Marjorie Bach's is of going there to tea with her mother.

It is interesting that at Dorothy (Dollie) Essery's wedding in 1925, an invitation was sent to Ada, so that there was no real rift. Ada did not attend however, but the contact seemed kindly.

Ada ended her days in a mental home."

No father's name is given Ada's birth certificate.

Died in Bristol Mental Hospital; address given on death certificate is 148 St. Andrews Road, Bristol; occupation is shown as widow of John Essery (Journeyman Carpenter), implying she did not re-marry.

[NI0186] Went to USA??

Roger Wild writes...

"The son of the second marriage was like his mother, but it seems she ill-treated him. Marjorie Bach (qv) thinks Annie tried to help him, but she did not like him and he emigrated to the USA. After one trip home which Marjorie dimly remembers he was never heard of again. There are reports however that he came to the Merton Road home in Liverpool years later but was not well received."


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.5b-WIN95 (Jul 28 1998) on 08/02/98 08:33:40 .